Re: 2.31: glibc master is now kinda, sorta, frozen

On 1/7/20 4:07 AM, Chung-Lin Tang wrote:

> On 2020/1/6 11:46 PM, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>> On 06/01/20 9:11 pm, Chung-Lin Tang wrote:
>>> as Carlos' review suggests, and what I'm working on right now, can this
>>> still
>>> make 2.31 as a non-default tunable option? Since the new algorithm does
>>> have
>>> some slight behavior difference, it may be better to make available earlier
>>> than later for users to try.
>>>
>>> I will try to update the patches and respond to Carlos' review in detail
>>> within
>>> the week.
>>
>> I'm afraid that's going to be too long and too late.  The change is
>> non-trivial and it needs more time to settle in master.  Please do
>> continue the review process though since, like I said, you can always
>> backport to 2.31 after the release.  New tunables can be backported
>> since they're not considered part of ABI.
>>
>> Siddhesh
>>
> Okay I see, thanks for letting me know. I will still try to update the patches
> for review soon.

If I can help please tell me.

I agree with Siddhesh in that I think we can backport this change.

Keep in mind that when this langs in master we'll immediately pull it into
Fedora Rawhide for testing (within the week). This is really the gold standard
for making sure we didn't break anything :-)

Even Florian's changes to NODELETE which seemed innocuous revealed all sorts
of latent expectations from Firefox, Chrome, and Calibre.

Carlos.