Re: Incorrect days of the week in ru_UA locale

1.10.2019 22:54 Keld Simonsen <keld@keldix.com> wrote:
> [...]
> I am also a native speaker of one of those languages, Danish,

A test:

$ LANG=da_DK.utf8 date
tor  3 okt 00:00:05 CEST 2019
$ LANG=ru_RU.utf8 date
Чт окт  3 00:00:23 CEST 2019
$ LANG=pl_PL.utf8 date
czw, 3 paź 2019, 00:00:31 CEST

Do I understand correctly that "tor" is correct here?  If yes,
it is OK, I am not an expert at your language. :-)

I would say that Polish "czw" is not correct.  Indeed, normally
we write weekday names (and month names) lowercase but as this is
the beginning of a sentence the uppercase first letter would be
better.  For the same reason I think that Russian "Чт" is correct
even if CLDR says otherwise.

> and moreover I was the initial contributer of about 60 of the locales incl
> ru_RU,
> that Urich Drepper picked up for glibc. I am also the editor of ISO 14652
> and ISO 30112 that provided extensions
> beyond Posix i18n functionality, and I  provide guidance for their use.

I know and therefore I respect your opinion.

> My advice is that this bad policy to have wrongly
> capitalized names here.

I think we don't have a consensus here and therefore I will not push
this commit unless someone convinces me to push it.

> [...]
> > Back about the main problem, I would like to post a patch which would
> > be the best explanation what I mean in this particular case.
>
> What would it say?

I think I posted it just while you were writing your message.
I will appreciate if you take a look.  It does not say clearly whether
upper/lowercase letters are correct, just that ru_UA should be a copy
of ru_RU.

Regards,

Rafal