Re: When can we stop writing ChangeLogs?

On 9/30/19 3:41 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I'm looking for something far simpler here—a script that submitters and
>> reviewers can run to see what's going to be committed, and some level of
>> project consensus that this is how patches should be posted.
>
> I suggest that should be "git am", as an existing known format for email
> patch submissions, for any case except where the patch has already been
> committed (and really "git am" format could probably be used there as
> well), the patch would be excessively large (whether because of large
> generated files or otherwise) or the patch contains mixed character sets
> which require it to be attached in compressed form to avoid it being
> mangled.  We can discuss details regarding e.g. scissors lines, but I
> think we should still aim for patch submissions that are valid for "git
> am" in some form - and in particular, that use "git am" markings to
> separate the commit message from other remarks (e.g. differences between
> revisions of the patch) that are not intended as part of the commit
> message.

In v2 of the contribution checklist we have:

"6.2. Generate patch"

"Use git format-patch to generate your patch from your local commit"

"Make sure that your commit is on top of a commit which is already
in the public Git tree, so that your collaborators can apply it
using git am -3."

"6.3. Adjust the email body"

"If you need to discuss something outside the patch do so at the
beginning of the email and then use 8< or >8 (see man git-mailinfo)
to indicate the end of the discussion and the start of the patch."

"6.4. Email the patch"

"You can attach the file to an email that contains the same subject,
 to, cc, body and other email information.

    * The attachment should normally employ a Content-Type of
      text/x-diff or text/x-patch (or at least text/plain) and a
      charset of UTF-8 or US-ASCII; if it contains binary data or
      mixed encoding it may need to specify a Content-Type of
      application/octet-stream instead. Please use an attachment
      file name that ends in ".diff" or ".patch" (or at least ".txt")."

https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Contribution%20checklist%20v2

Does that cover everything?