Re: When can we stop writing ChangeLogs?

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:

> > We have git commit messages documented as one of the things that a
> > contributor needs to pay attention to in the Contributor Checklist, but
> > enforcement of review has been sketchy.  I can't think of a better
> > solution at the moment than a review tool that requires reviewers to
> > flag the commit message as being OK.
>
> I'm looking for something far simpler here?a script that submitters and
> reviewers can run to see what's going to be committed, and some level of
> project consensus that this is how patches should be posted.

 Hmm, isn't it the GIT format that we've been using?  I.e. the `Subject:'
header is the commit heading, anything in the e-mail body up to the first
`---' marker is the commit description (including any `From:' authorship
override in the first line), an optional section with further comments
follows (e.g. notes on the test procedure that was used, etc.) that is not
going to be committed and ends with a second `---' marker, and anything
that follows is a patch.

 This can be easily prepared with `git format-patch'; of course any
additional comments have to be filled in.  Once reviewed an e-mail that
has been so formatted can be commited with `git am' then.

> Hopefully we can get to this point while still using email for patch
> submission and review.

 With the GIT format in use `git send-email' can of course be used
directly for submissions.

  Maciej