Re: [RFC v5 01/21] sunrpc/clnt_udp: Ensure total_deadline is initalised

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 8:02 AM Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Sep 2019, Alistair Francis wrote:

> > > Although this has historically been glibc practice, I think it is
> > > unwisely incautious, and we should change the policy to be that we
> > > *do* add initializations whenever the compiler thinks a variable even
> > > _might_ be used uninitialized.
> >
> > Does that mean this patch is ok?
>
> No.  You can't deduce consensus like that from two different views on a
> patch or a convention.  Even if we were to change the convention regarding
> how to silence such warnings, I see reason to have any less requirement
> for comments explaining why the warning is a false positive and that the
> initializer is only there to silence a warning than there is for the
> DIAG_* macros.

No worries, I'll happily change the patch, I just want to make sure I
change it to the right thing.

I'll:
 - Investigate filing a GCC bug for this false positive
 - Add comments to the init explaining why I am setting it
 - Use the DIAG_* macros

Alistair