Re: testroot.pristine creation falls over copying dynamic linker

On Thu, 1 Aug 2019, Joseph Myers wrote:

> On Wed, 31 Jul 2019, DJ Delorie wrote:
>
> > The case that would fail would be if ldd reported something like this:
> >
> >   /a/somelib.so => /b/somelib.so
> >
> > and the dynamic linker expected to find it in /a/
>
> As I understand it, /a/ here is always the canonical path (specified as
> ELF interpreter), which may not actually exist, while /b/ is the path
> actually present outside the testroot, so the only correct one for copying
> from.  The glibc shared libraries copied at this stage shouldn't be very
> relevant anyway, only other copied libraries (e.g. libgcc_s) - the glibc
> shared libraries installed by the '$(MAKE) install
> DESTDIR=$(objpfx)testroot.pristine' ought to be the ones that matter.
>
> (It would, however, be desirable for such a change to be tested both with
> and without --enable-hardcoded-paths-in-tests, in addition to any other
> variants that might be relevant for testing.)

I have now done a MIPS test of this patch in the
--enable-hardcoded-path-in-tests case and confirmed it also works in that
case as well - of course in that case it copies libraries to paths under
<builddir>/testroot.pristine/<builddir> so that execution within the
testroot can find the libraries at the hardcoded paths.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com