Re: [RFC v1 00/16] RISC-V glibc port for the 32-bit

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019, Alistair Francis wrote:

> This patch set contains the glibc port for the 32-bit RISC-V.

The following are general comments that I think are still applicable to
the current version.

See <https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/NewPorts>.  A lot of things in
there are inapplicable for this case (architecture variant for an existing
port), but some *are* applicable.  For example, you're using GLIBC_2.29
symbol versions, which is wrong; the versions have to be those of the
first release to have the new port (so GLIBC_2.31 or later).  As another
example, you need to include details of test results when submitting a new
port.

> The last patch is a hack to forcefully rename the remaining system calls
> that are causing compiller failures to the 64-bit versions. This is
> obviously not the correct way to do this. I would like some feedback on
> this series to find the upstream approved way to use the 64-bit
> versions.

Build on top of the Y2038 series, helping to fix the issues with that
series so it can get in sooner.  In general, get to a state before adding
this port where each time-related function, for which you think you might
need changes for RV32, is implemented following the pattern where the main
implementation is for 64-bit times and the version for 32-bit times is a
thin wrapper round that, unless there is a good, well-commented reason to
do otherwise, and then you're much less likely to need further changes for
RV32.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com