Re: glibc at the Toolchains microconference at LPC 2019

On 6/26/19 1:41 PM, Christian Brauner wrote:
> On June 26, 2019 6:50:23 PM GMT+02:00, Zack Weinberg <zackw@panix.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 26, 2019 at 12:39 PM Dmitry V. Levin <ldv@altlinux.org>
>> wrote:
>>>>

>> <https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/blog/2019/toolchains-microconference-accepted-into-2019-linux-plumbers-conference/>

>>> What are the right expectations?
>>
>> Well, _I_ think glibc should provide wrappers for all Linux system
>> calls, except those that cannot be used without stomping on internal
>> glibc data structures (e.g. set_tid_address, set_robust_list, brk) and
>> those that have been completely superseded by newer syscalls.  Other
>> people have disagreed with me pretty strenuously, but they haven't
>> done any of the work required to make forward progress on their more
>> conservative policies.  I am tempted to post a patch early in the 2.31
>> cycle that adds wrappers for everything, and then threaten to apply it
>> unilaterally unless I hear concrete objections within a week or so.
>>
>> zw
>
> Strongly agree.

Zach,

Could you please review the language here:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Consensus#WIP:_Kernel_syscalls_wrappers

I drafted it in 2014-10-23 based on comments from Joseph Myers and the
community (almost 5 years ago!)

If you agree to that langauge I'll propose this again as being accepted
consensus.

Carlos.