Re: [glibc] <sys/stat.h>: Use Linux UAPI header for statx if available and useful

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:27 PM Joseph Myers <joseph@codesourcery.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Jun 2019, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> > Ugh, you're right.  I guess this really does need to be pushed from
> > the compiler end.  Do you think it would be worth filing a bug report
> > on GCC and/or clang?
>
> I think it would make sense to stop defining by default any non-reserved
> macros.  But perhaps someone could investigate how widespread usage of
> "#ifdef unix" or "#ifdef linux" is that would behave unexpectedly if those
> stopped being defined (or likewise "#ifdef i386" etc.).

Unfortunately codesearch.debian.net is not clever enough to do the
necessary search;
https://codesearch.debian.net/search?q=filetype%3Ac+%5Cblinux%5Cb for
instance picks up dozens of instances of the word "linux" in comments,
header names, string literals, etc.  I don't myself have access to
anything more powerful.

I am guessing that "unix" and "linux" are going to be easier to get
rid of than "i386" and other non-reserved predefines relating to the
CPU.

zw