Re: glibc git commit hooks update.

On Mon, 15 Apr 2019, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> * Sending an email and updating bugzilla are the same process,
>   and so you either get both or you get none. You cannot have
>   commit emails without bugzilla updates. Therefore we have opted
>   to have only commit emails and bugzilla updates for release and
>   master. This can be fixed but it needs extending in the existing
>   scripts to make the two operations distinct. For example if anyone
>   wants user branches to generate email commit messages then we'll
>   need to work on this.

I think user branches should generate emails (as I see it the point of
having such branches in this repository at all is visibility of the work
going on there, and that should include generating emails).

I'm not clear on whether the hooks were configured with any limit on the
size of diffs mailed, but if there is such a limit it should be at least
several MB.

One problem with the old hooks was that they did not generate a
Content-Type header, which was unhelpful when the mails also weren't pure
ASCII.  I see the new ones are generating 'Content-Type: text/plain;
charset="us-ascii"'.  Will they also be smart about specifying an
appropriate character set (so UTF-8 if the commit message / author name /
diff contents are valid UTF-8 but not ASCII, for example)?

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com