Re: Changes to "Contribution Checklist" -- Format of the contribution.

* Joseph Myers:

> On Fri, 15 Feb 2019, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>> I don't think we should suggest that scripts/build-many-glibcs.py
>> improves a contribution.  Not everyone will be able to run it.
>
> It's also only relevant to certain kinds of changes that are likely to
> involve architecture-specific issues.  Most normal changes don't involve
> anything architecture-specific, or are architecture-specific for a single
> architecture, and so testing on a single architecture is fine.

On the other hand, I find extremely difficult to spot whether a change
is architecture-specific.  Consider the reason IP_RECVERR breakage.  Not
having done any Darwin or Hurd development work, I had no idea that the
feature was missing there.

>> : "Contributed by" statements *in source code comments* are no longer
>> : required or desired in glibc source files (though existing statements
>> : will remain).
>
> I think we should remove the existing "Contributed by" statements (that
> avoids them appearing in new files people copy from old ones) - but before
> removing such a statement we need to make sure the names in question are
> properly credited in contrib.texi.

I don't want to make such changes because as far as I know, for some
contributors at least, we cannot legally remove them unilaterally
because these authors have a right to be named as such, something that
the FSF copyright assignment did not (and could not) take away from
them.

Thanks,
Florian