Re: Help needed reviewing Cyrillic -> ASCII transliteration [BZ #2872]

Hi,

I would appreciate if you all could keep me on the TO: for this patch
discussions as I am not subscribed to the list. Please let me know if
there is another way around it.

From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at gotplt dot org> To: Rafal Luzynski <digitalfreak at lingonborough dot com>, libc-alpha at sourceware dot org Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2019 23:35:13 +0530 Subject: Re: Help needed reviewing Cyrillic -> ASCII transliteration [BZ #2872] References: <1042796605.674608.1545262199252@poczta.nazwa.pl>

I've tried to overcome my general lack of confidence in commenting on
locale related issues to provide some opinions. I'd take those with
an appropriate dose of salt since like I've said before, I have little experience in this area.

On 20/12/18 4:59 AM, Rafal Luzynski wrote:[SNIP]> * Is the C builtin locale the correct place to put this transliteration? If yes, should we think about including the support of other
alphabets as well (like extended Latin -> plain ASCII, Greek ->
Latin, and so on) ever in future?

Yes on both counts, although this could result in bloating of the C locale. If we are to provide additional transliteration of this sort,
we probably need to provide some way to trim it.

Is there a specific way you measure the bloat of the C locale?
Is it the size of the resulting libc.so.6 file we are concerned with?

In terms of the source code we are just adding as many lines as there
are letters (169 insertions for Cyrillic in this patch v12)

* Should the Cyrillic transliteration work in every locale (possibly with few exceptions) or should we require that a locale actually using Cyrillic script must be used? (E.g., should it work when ru_RU is not installed? should it work if en_US is the only locale installed? Should it work when no locale is installed, even en_US?)

Would it matter if it was in the C builtin locale?
Just for clarification, the whole point (at least for me) for this patch
is to have the transliteration when other methods are not available. Or
when existing programs/systems can not make use of them. The most basic
example: filenames in Cyrillic on a NAS that get converted to
????????.??? and get overwritten in the worst case. So the most value is
when it works out of box with the C builtin. Other locales can actually
implement their own variant and explicitly use it if they need one; some
already have, others may be just fine with the builtin C.

* Is it required that transliteration produces unambiguous output which means that two different original strings never produce the same result? (As a consequence, the reverse transliteration could be possible).

I don't think so. Transliterations are approximations in the end and
 striving for such guarantees might be overreach.

Additionally we have a disagreement about how should we handle the
 case when a single original uppercase character transliterates
into a digraph in ASCII.  Should both ASCII characters be
uppercase (which is good for all uppercase strings and also good to
emphasize that the original character was single rather than two
separate characters which accidentally transliterate into two
characters making a digraph) or should only the first ASCII
character be uppercase (which is good for the titlecase words which
is common in natural texts)? An example is "Ш" - should it be "SH"
or "Sh"? Note that "Сх" may also produce "Sh" ("S" + "h" -> "Sh").

Is that important?

As in the above example about the files, you would probably agree that
it's better not to knowingly introduce a failure vector for such basic
OS operations like working with files. The transliteration
capitalization collisions have this negative potential. The users that
need a different specific capitalization can still implement that in
their locale.

Bests,
Egor

P.S.
Just for your reference here is the current patch:
https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2019-01/msg00040.html
and the entry in the sourceware wiki:
https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.29#Desirable_this_release.3F