Re: Automating the maintenance of the ChangeLog file

On 21/11/18 9:56 PM, Jeff Law wrote:
But the insanity of actually putting it into a ChangeLog file, dealing
with rebases/conflicts as a result is just silly, particularly when we
could just include the data in the commit message and have tools to
extract them from commit messages for those who find reading ChangeLogs
useful (such as myself).

In addition to just the inconvenience of rebases in our own trees, the requirement of maintaining the file prevents us from using any sort of patch review tools because none of our commits correspond to any patches we send. The patchwork deployment for glibc was effectively useless because of this; having to manually close out patches instead of them auto-closing on triggers is a major inconvenience.

Siddhesh