Re: [RFC] ChangeLog generation script

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 7:31 AM Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> * Andreas Schwab:
> > On Nov 21 2018, Szabolcs Nagy <Szabolcs.Nagy@arm.com> wrote:
> >
> >> well then those scripts don't solve the problem, we need a better one.
> >
> > It is impossible to fill the void automatically.
>
> Most of us write the ChangeLog entries to comply with GNU policy, not
> because we find them useful.

I might be a little weird here, but:

I almost never find *reading* changelog files to be useful.  I have
occasionally grepped them for the name of a function, but only when
the change I was investigating predated the current VCS history, and
only to learn the right date to be digging through mailing list
archives.

However, for a project as complicated as glibc, I find *writing*
changelog entries by hand to be a valuable discipline.  It forces me
to read every line of the patch I'm about to submit, and I've caught
mistakes dozens of times because of it.

zw