Re: Propose requiring Python 3.4 or later for building glibc.

On Fri, Oct 19, 2018 at 2:47 PM Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> This proposal is to being circulated to all the distribution
> maintainers to gain their acceptance surrounding the use of
> python 3.4 or greater for building glibc.
>
> There has been concern expressed that requiring python 3.4
> or greater for the bootstrap process will add an additional
> tool the the bootstrap, and specifically a tool that may not
> be available on older distributions.
>
> Python is already mostly available for distributions because
> of the integration into key OS components. Python can be
> built on older distributions, and on older distributions you
> already have to build a lot of things to compile glibc (like
> a newer gcc, and binutils).
>
> The question today is:
>
> * Is it OK to require python 3.4 or later to build glibc?
>
> Dmitry Levin has provided input for ALT Linux. Specifically that
> despite objections over the addition of Python the bootstrap, that
> technically speaking ALT Linux should be OK.
>
> Allan,
>
> Any input from Arch Linux?
>
> Aurelian,
>
> Any input from Debian?
>
> Siddhesh,
>
> Any input from Linaro for toolchains being built?
>
> Florian has provided input for RHEL and Fedora, with a statement
> that the distributions have sufficiently new versions of Python 3
> that this should not be a problem.
>
> Andreas,
>
> Any input from Gentoo?
>
> Khem,
>
> Any input from your RDK work?

We already depend on python 3.5 for other reasons
and build our own python3 during cross compile, this
change essentially is therefore fine for us, only difference
is that now we have to build python3-native before glibc
which might add a bit to build time due
to serialization.