Re: What to do about gnulib libio dependencies?

On 08/21/2018 07:41 AM, Paul Eggert wrote:
> Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> Why is gnulib expecting these internals to be stable?
>
> It's not. If glibc changes its internals in this area, gnulib will
> have to either adapt or give up. I hope it won't be the latter; too
> many GNU programs use that functionality.

If we implement these interfaces in glibc can we avoid this situation
happening again in the future?

I'm not happy that we have these kinds of dependencies on glibc
internals, but I am empathetic to Florian's claim of "minimum harm"
and the quality of the applications using gnulib.

Like with the Emacs case, we want to remove such external dependencies
on glibc internals, even if from other GNU programs. I know I'm preaching
to the converted when I say it makes the library easier to maintain :}

Carlos.