Re: framebuffer corruption due to overlapping stp instructions on arm64

On 6 August 2018 at 12:42, Mikulas Patocka <mpatocka@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 6 Aug 2018, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:

>> > I think there are three possible solutions:
>> >
>> > 1. provide an alternative memcpy implementation that doesn't do unaligned
>> > accesses and recompile the graphics software with -mstrict-align
>> >
>> > 2. map the PCI BAR as device memory and emulate the unaligned instructions
>> >
>> > 3. find some hardware workaround that could insert delays between the PCIe
>> > accesses (but the hardware engineers need to cooperate on this instead of
>> > asserting that they refuse tu support it)
>> >

>> Are we talking about a quirk for the Armada 8040 or about PCIe on ARM
>> in general?
>
> I don't know - there are not any other easily available PCIe ARM boards
> except for Armada 8040.

... indeed, and sadly, the ones that are available all have this
horrible Synopsys DesignWare PCIe IP that does not implement a true
root complex at all, but is simply repurposed endpoint IP with some
tweaks so it vaguely resembles a root complex.

But this is exactly why I am asking: I use a AMD Seattle Overdrive as
my main Linux development system, and it runs the gnome-shell stack
flawlessly (using the nouveau driver), as well as a UEFI framebuffer
using efifb. So my suspicion is that this is either a Synopsys IP
issue or an interconnect issue, and has nothing to do with the
impedance mismatch between AMBA and PCIe.