Re: Updating "contribution Checklist" to recommend git format-patch.

On 06/26/2018 04:33 PM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
We should not require people to use git-show-gnu scripts, and
all developers should have the Changelog merge helper to make
it easy to commit such patches.

The merge helper only runs if Git knows the hash of the previous version of the ChangeLog file mentioned in the patch. This means that the merge always fails if the patch was created from a ChangeLog file which has not been pushed to sourceware.org. This is certainly a downside.

The upside is that we'd see what people intend to use as an author ID and commit message, which could be helpful in some cases.

I'm not quite sure yet how one thing weighs against the other.

Thanks,
Florian