Re: Restartable Sequences system call merged into Linux

On 06/14/2018 03:25 PM, Pavel Machek wrote:

But the proposal wanted to add a syscall to thread creation, right?
And I believe that may be noticeable.

We already call set_robust_list, so we could just pass a larger area to that and the kernel could use it. Then no additional system call would be needed in the common case (new kernel which recognizes the new area size).

But then we cannot use an initial-exec thread local variable for it (although the offset from the thread pointer will still be constant, of course).

Thanks,
Florian