Re: assertion fails in elf/get-dynamic-info.h

On Mon, 4 Jun 2018, Carlos O'Donell wrote:

> On 06/04/2018 04:21 PM, Chris Aoki wrote:
> > Since the behavior is apparently due to a bug in a local dev compiler
> > build, it does not appear to be worthwhile to consider extending either
> > libc.so or ld.so to deal with RPATH.   However, I think it would be useful
> > to modify the glibc configure script to detect implicit RPATH setting and
> > raise an error if it is detected.
>
> It's exceedingly rare to see this, which is why we don't have a check for it.

I've seen that problem before, in 2006, but the solution then was to make
toolchain-building scripts clear the environment except for whitelisted
variables, so that LD_RUN_PATH and many other variables could not then
affect the build.  I'd recommend similarly clearing the environment for
anyone writing a toolchain-building system where builds are meant to be
reproducible when run by different people who may have different
environment variables set.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com