Re: assertion fails in elf/get-dynamic-info.h

> On Jun 4, 2018, at 7:35 AM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/03/2018 03:48 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> No, ld.so must not have a DT_RPATH or DT_RUNPATH.
>
> Agreed.
>
> My suspicion is that Chris' gcc automatically injects an RPATH.
Yes, I’ve confirmed that using a small test case.

> Out of curiosity, what distribution is this?

This turns out to be a bug in a local build of a gcc7 backport,
not a released product.

> Lastly, with enough development work it might be possible to
> remove the assertions, but ld.so would have to be extended
> to understand the semantics of RPATH/RUNPATH against ld.so.
>
> For example does a RPATH/RUNPATH in ld.so mean that these
> are additional trusted directories to be searched by all
> lookups?

Since the behavior is apparently due to a bug in a local dev compiler
build, it does not appear to be worthwhile to consider extending either
libc.so or ld.so to deal with RPATH.   However, I think it would be useful
to modify the glibc configure script to detect implicit RPATH setting and
raise an error if it is detected.

Thanks everyone for providing helpful information and explaining the
issues.

-chris