Re: glibc 2.25 seems to have broken AddressSaniitzer Inbox x glibc x sanitizer x

On 05/09/2018 12:42 AM, Konstantin Serebryany wrote:
This is not really what I am asking for.

Our current situation is that asan (ab)uses undocumented and unsupported
features of
glibc that glibc periodically changes, and has the full right to do so.

What I am asking for is to have a set of documented and supported features
that will support asan
and that will be tested as part of the main glibc test suite.
(https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/ThreadPropertiesAPI  is my old attempt,
but it didn't get attention)

I think these abstractions are not really helpful because they imply a specific implementation strategy for (dynamic) TLS which may or may not apply in the future.

We already have a documented interface for TLS (the ABI). I think there is more value in making the dynamic linker replaceable as a whole, instead of coming up with hooks that may or may not appropriate a couple years down the road. With “replaceable” I mean that there is a stable ABI between libc.so.6 and the dynamic linker, so that you can use different implementation.

I don't think anyone has code for this, so it's all pie-in-the-sky. It is not very likely that I will be able to work on this in the near future.

In the meantime, I agree with Joseph: We should paper over issues with the current approach with more testing.

Thanks,
Florian