Re: delete abortion joke

On May  7, 2018, "Carlos O'Donell" <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:

> 3 - Yay (for removal)
> 1 - Nay
> 5 - Abstain

> Do we remove the joke?

If we were voting rather than building consensus, I would say we would
remove it.

> There is no GNU policy for conflict between GNU package maintainers.

Maybe we don't need one.

When GNU requests appointed maintainers to make a certain change, we
should all be aligned in voting, consensus or whatever decision making
process.

When GNU doesn't, we are just bound by our general commitment to GNU and
should proceed in ways that we believe best serve its interests, and
those of the specific project.

IMHO :-)

> Why is one abortion joke better than a whole chapter on censorship that
> more people can understand?

Because we're humans.  Humor has a way of breaking mind barriers that a
whole chapter doesn't.  It requires forming connections in ways that
regular prose doesn't.  It's a very powerful tool to speak truth to
power.

(I'm not saying this specific joke displays these features, mind you,
just answering your question with a general notion that reflects my
understanding and personal experience as a writer and public speaker)

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer