Re: Seeking advice on writing a test [Re: [patch] Fix BZ 20419 -- stack overflow with huge PT_NOTE segment]

On 05/06/2018 11:47 PM, Paul Pluzhnikov wrote:
Assuming we do want to protect against it (which is easy to do, so why
wouldn't we?), I am having hard time coming up with a reasonable test
strategy.

I could write a little helper program to generate such a binary "by hand"
(i.e. without compiler/linker involvement). Is there a simpler strategy?

Unless the helper is more generally applicable (i.e. you have a bigger test plan) I'd say it is overkill for just this bug. That is, it would be nice to have such a helper but shouldn't be necessary for this bug.

BTW on a related note, given the recent malloc tcache improvements how much does this alloca even save in terms of performance? If it is not very performance sensitive, it might make sense to just use malloc and not bother with alloca at all.

Siddhesh