Re: [rain1 at airmail dot cc] Delete abortion joke

On 03/05/2018 04:01, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
> On 05/03/2018 10:06 AM, Carlos O'Donell wrote:
>> As a GNU Developer for the community I OK'd the patch.
>>
>> As a GNU Developer I answer to the GNU Project.
>>
>> I also apologize for not contacting you directly.
>>
>> This does not change my position on the joke and it's relation to
>> abortion and censorship.
>>
>> A large group of developers, serious senior developers, at least 3
>> project stewards (GNU Developers for the project), are indicating
>> that they do not share your same view on the joke. Please consider
>> their input and work with me to reach a consensus position.
>>
>> The underlying notions that the joke tries to express are important
>> and I am more than willing to engage with you and Alex to write
>> new text and put it back into the manual to meet our needs to
>> express a viewpoint on censorship.
>>
>> Let me propose another the following patch for discussion. It is
>> *not* a @cartouche, and will therefore be visible in all of our
>> info and html files (which is better IMO).
>>
>> 2018-05-03  Carlos O'Donell  <carlos@systemhalted.org>
>>
>>     * manual/intro.texi (Government Censorship): New node.
>
> That still doesn't make it any more relevant to the GNU project, let alone glibc.  I agree that it may be relevant to the FSF, but does that mean that I can submit patches to add snippets about privacy invasions and/or human rights violations in India given that I am an active GNU contributor?
>
> We probably agree on a lot of political and social issues (not that it is even necessary), but the manual is just not the forum for it.
>
> Siddhesh

I agree with Siddhesh, as we are seeing politics is a quite touchy subject
specially with a forum with participants with different nationalities and
political views.  The current subject of abortion is *much* more complex
than discussion so far, can be viewed from multiples political and
philosophical ways than mere 'government censorship', and I really think
glibc documentation is not the place to engage in such discussion.

I see it is wiser to try to be more strictly formal and technical on a
glibc documentation.

We currently have many other places were one can express his political
views and if you are not heard as you expect it is something you need to
deal it.