This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH 2/6] Remove slow paths from sin/cos
- From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <siddhesh at gotplt dot org>
- To: Wilco Dijkstra <Wilco dot Dijkstra at arm dot com>, "libc-alpha at sourceware dot org" <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Cc: nd <nd at arm dot com>
- Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 21:47:09 +0530
- Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6] Remove slow paths from sin/cos
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <DB6PR0801MB2053788EB64591EC936E598683DE0@DB6PR0801MB2053.eurprd08.prod.outlook.com>
On Friday 09 March 2018 09:16 PM, Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
> This patch removes 2nd of the 3 range reduction cases and defer to the final one.
> Input values above 2^27 are extremely rare, so this case doesn't need to as be
> optimized as smaller inputs.
Please elaborate on two more points:
- The basis for your claim that values above 2^27 are extremely rare,
i.e. papers that you may have referred that conclude this and/or
applications you may have profiled
- The quantum of performance loss due to dropping the 2nd case.