Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

On 03/08/2018 04:55 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
I originally helped get tile, blackfin, metag, unicore32 and score into
the kernel, and it's always sad to see them go away after all the work
that was put into making them work. Out of the above, tile was
probably the best supported, and the most ambitious architecture
design, but in the end it seems it is just as dead as the others, so
I'll now add a patch to remove it along with the others in linux-4.17.

Out of curiosity: Is there any reason why the removal of tilegx is now
being rushed? Did any of the policies regarding architectures in the
kernel change? I had the impression that architectures could previously
stay unmaintained for a while before being removed.

- sh3/sh4 looked like they would get revived a few years ago
   for the j-core project. The 2015 roadmap on
   http://j-core.org/roadmap.html had ambitious plans for
   an sh3 compatible core in 2017 and an sh4 compatible one
   in 2018. However, not much has happened  at all since 2016,
   and now the website is down as well. You might want to
   contact the j-core developers for clarification.
   I suspect this has also become a victim of the RISC-V
   success.

Well, that's quite a bummer. I don't know what Rich Felker's and
Rob Landley's plans now are. Rich told that he would be doing paid
SH work again in the upcoming weeks. I even sent him and Rob SH4
hardware to support their efforts.

I have personally invested a lot of work into the SH port over the
past three years in Debian and I was involved fixing many bugs
and as a result, the port is quite usable. It would be really
disappointing to see it being removed all of a sudden :(.

I will get in touch with Rich and Rob to figure out what's going
on.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz