Re: RISC-V glibc port, v5

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 04:08:59 PST (-0800), joseph@codesourcery.com wrote:
On Thu, 25 Jan 2018, Palmer Dabbelt wrote:

> And dl-cache.h is missing a definition of add_system_dir.

When I looked through that I didn't think we needed one because libraries were
always in paths defined by the arch/abi pair.  Our libraries live in
 */lib64/lp64d
 */lib64/lp64
 */lib

with only ld.so living in */lib (as ld-linux-*.so).  Looking through the
existing codebases it appears that I'm supposed to be adding all the
directories in which we could find libraries for any library path argument
add_system_dir is given.

Yes.  My reasoning for that would be: generic autoconf-configured (etc.)
software may only know about using the lib directory, so you want the lib
directory to be searched regardless of the ABI - but it's also useful to
be able to e.g. list /usr/local/lib in /etc/ld.so.conf for all
architectures and have that automatically imply /usr/local/lib64/lp64d
etc. so that libraries can be found that come from software that does use
the ABI-specific directories.

OK, that makes sense. I'm going to add that to our port, just in case anyone else ends up coming across this and wondering what it's there for.