The future of static dlopen

Folklore has it that static dlopen and dlmopen are closely related. Both have an outer and inner libc, and thus share a similar problem of making sure that they have the same view of the process and share data as needed.

However, there is this code in _dl_map_object_from_fd:

  /* When loading into a namespace other than the base one we must
     avoid loading ld.so since there can only be one copy.  Ever.  */
  if (__glibc_unlikely (nsid != LM_ID_BASE)
      && (_dl_file_id_match_p (&id, &GL(dl_rtld_map).l_file_id)
	  || _dl_name_match_p (name, &GL(dl_rtld_map))))
    {
      /* This is indeed ld.so.  Create a new link_map which refers to
	 the real one for almost everything.  */
      l = _dl_new_object (realname, name, l_type, loader, mode, nsid);

So the dynamic linker is indeed shared across dlmopen namespaces. If we want to share anything between libcs, we can simply do this by implementing it in ld.so instead.

However, this works only for dlmopen. For static dlopen, there is no outer lds.so that can be shared. Instead, a new inner ld.so is loaded but not initialized, leading to bugs such as bug 20802 (getauxval not working after static dlopen).

In fact, when the inner ld.so appears to work, it only does so because it is bypassed. For dlopen from the loaded DSOs, we have two different mechanisms, one for libc, one for libdl, which install the non-ld.so implementation of dlopen into the inner libc, called __libc_register_dl_open_hook and __libc_register_dlfcn_hook. These hooks, when active, completely replace the implementation. Here's the example for dlopen:

void *
__dlopen (const char *file, int mode DL_CALLER_DECL)
{
# ifdef SHARED
  if (__glibc_unlikely (_dlfcn_hook != NULL))
    return _dlfcn_hook->dlopen (file, mode, DL_CALLER);
# endif

This is not exactly harmless because there are still crash handlers which call dlopen as part of the crash reporting procedure (to load the libgcc unwinder). It is possible, however, to mangle those function pointers (although this will of course break static dlopen from existing binaries, but we require recompilation already as there is no stable ABI; see bug 20204).

Let me stress again that these hooks are *not* needed for the dlmopen case. There, _rtld_global_ro is fully initialized, and a call to GLRO(dl_open) just works (and so would a call to the ld.so function through an ELF relocation).

As the getauxval bug 20802 shows, the set of hooks is currently incomplete. Another example is dlvsym support from libc.so itself for internal use, which is missing from elf/dl-libc.c (and which I need to implement libidn2 support for AI_IDN). There are probably many other things missing as well, e.g. bug 10652 which still lacks root cause analysis.

This led me to wonder if there is a more natural way of implementing static dlopen. The current scheme certainly has the advantage that it is possible to dlopen a DSO which is not linked against libc.so and ld.so (basically, without DT_NEEDED) with minimal extra overhead and dependency on additional files. However, I'm not sure how common that use case is. Our own use of static dlopen for NSS modules does not fit that.

If the static-dlopen-of-statically-linked-DSO is not a useful use case to support, maybe we should change the static dlopen implementation to load ld.so first and let it handle all further dynamic linking. We would have to tweak the regular entry point so that the TLS initialization and some other steps are skipped because the main executable has already done that work. At that point, we would load ld.so pretty much like the kernel would load it. After the initialization, the dynamic loader would work just in the way it does for dynamically linked binaries.

But this leads to the question: Why do this at all? Shouldn't we perhaps simply tell the kernel to load the dynamic loader for us? That is, create a dynamically linked executable?

Since a statically linked executable is already tied to the libc.so and ld.so version it was created with, what exactly is the use case for static dlopen?

Should we remove support for static dlopen? And use some other mechanism to implement NSS for statically linked binaries?

Thanks,
Florian