Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

On 04/12/2017 16:13, Chris Metcalf wrote:
> On 12/4/2017 6:10 AM, Adhemerval Zanella wrote:
>> Now back to thread topic, Chris Metcalf gave us some indications that
>> tilepro userbase and support do not justify the maintaining effort.  It
>> already has kernel ABI incompatibilities (for instance ca768667d873 fix on
>> linux and some atomic unsupported operations that broke the build on
>> recent glibc fixes).  I think we could at least remove old tilepro
>> support.
>
> That's certainly a plausible middle ground.   Of course, tilepro support is
> only 30 files (about half of which are just *.abilist files) out of 204 total
> files for tile support, so the tree won't benefit as much from that cleanup.
> But we have heard some support for tilegx, and none for tilepro, so maybe
> that's a plausible position to land, particularly given the Debian interest.

We maintain a buildbot for all current supported architectures [1], which
means less computing resources being spent in build/checking in this
specific case.  As Joseph has put, tilepro removal will most likely incur
in some internal tile folder simplification.

[1] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-testresults/