Re: RFC: remove the "tile" architecture from glibc

On 12/01/2017 11:40 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
>> I will be happy to provide these results. Adhemerval has also access to one of
>
> We need someone to fix any major issues that show up in the results, as
> well as running the tests and posting the results on the wiki page during
> each release freeze.

I will be happy to provide these test runs. I just came from OpenJDK were
I fixed many issues with non-stream architectures and I'm happy to pick
up glibc next and try to help fix issues.

>> my SH porterboxes. Also, SH is actually being redeveloped as an open
>> source architecture called J-Core (http://j-core.org/) and they're working
>> on releasing new, SH-compatible open source hardware over the next years.
>> I already have J2 board at home, compatible SH-2.
>
> SH-2 isn't relevant to glibc (SH-4 would be).

J-Core is planning to eventually implement SH-4.

>> There is also a guy within Debian currently working on ia64 who started
>> recently. Don't know what the current status is though.
>
> Well, we need a maintainer to review and commit patches (like the routine
> libm-test-ulps patch that was posted but has not been committed).

I have already contacted the guy who has started with ia64 again on
Debian and warned him about the deprecation issue.

>> If m68k support is dropped, I'm either jumping out of the window or I'm
>> becoming a shepheard or something. Linux/m68k is one of *the* most popular
>> retro-platforms we have in Linux and there are lots of people in- and outside
>> Debian working on it. The kernel is still actively maintained on m68k with
>> at least four active maintainers that I know.
>
> If you want to keep m68k support in GCC, moving the port away from cc0
> (and then to LRA) is necessary.  The timescale suggested in
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2017-07/msg00231.html> was that cc0 ports
> could be deprecated for GCC 8 and removed for GCC 9 if not converted.  See
> <https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/CC0Transition> for a guide to converting GCC
> ports away from cc0.

Yes, I'm aware of the LRA transition and this scares quite a lot. I don't
know whether I have the skillset to work on gcc, so far I have committed
merely one patch to gcc and that was only a small fix.

There is definitely demand for m68k support in gcc and glibc, the retro
community is huge, especially because of the Amiga which has been
refusing to die for 20 years. People have developed FPGA-based CPU
accelerators which boost the Amiga to 600 MHz and more and with qemu-m68k-system,
we can now emulate a Macintosh Quadra 800 machine with 1 GiB RAM and
a 1.5 GHz CPU which helps a lot when it comes to compiling and testing
code natively. I also have an actual Amiga running Debian unstable with
a 4.14 kernel and glibc_2.25/gcc-7. I will run the testsuite for
glibc-master on qemu-m68k-system for now.

SH has LRA support in gcc already, if I remember correctly.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz