Re: Seccomp implications for glibc wrapper function changes

Hi Florian,

On 9 November 2017 at 13:02, Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 11/09/2017 12:58 PM, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) wrote:
>>
>> [CC += Kees, in case he has some comments]
>>
>> On 9 November 2017 at 08:17, Michael Kerrisk (man-pages)
>> <mtk.manpages@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Florian,

>>> Thanks. The above is a good summary of the counterpoints to my initial
>>> argument.
>>

>> Florian, taking your and Adhemerval's useful comments into account, I
>> added the following text to the seccomp(2) manual page:
>>
>> [[
>>     Caveats
>>         There  are  various  subtleties  to consider when applying seccomp
>>         filters to a program, including the following:
>>
>>         *  Some traditional system calls have  user-space  implementations
>>            in the vdso(7) on many architectures.  Notable examples include
>>            clock_gettime(2), gettimeofday(2), and time(2).  On such archi‐
>>            tectures, seccomp filtering for these system calls will have no
>>            effect.
>

> I think the situation is more complicated for many of those because they can
> still perform system calls on their fallback paths.  So it's one more case
> where seccomp can give you unpredictable failures.

Good point. I added the following text:

          (However,  there are cases where the vdso(7) implemen‐
          tations may fall back  to  invoking  the  true  system
          call, in which case seccomp filters would see the sys‐
          tem call.)

> Rest looks good to me.  Thanks for the writeup.

Thanks for the review!

Cheers,

Michael

--