Re: [RFC 0/6] glibc port to ARC architecture

On 06/27/2017 05:00 AM, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Tue, 27 Jun 2017, Florian Weimer wrote:

On 06/27/2017 10:00 AM, Vineet Gupta wrote:
This is a Request for comments for glibc port to ARC architecture.
http://www.synopsys.com/IP/ProcessorIP/ARCProcessors/Pages/default.aspx

The Linux kernel, uClibc, buildroot have been upstream for quite some time.

Is it possible to build the new port with scripts/build-many-glibcs.py?

More specifically:

Any new port should have support added to build-many-glibcs.py for all
ABIs supported by the port (e.g. both endiannesses, if you support both BE
and LE, and any other ABI variants).

I added the trivial bits to build-many-glibcs.py for supporting ARC, but it seems there are some roadblocks.

1. There are still some in-flight patches for gcc/binutils upstreaming. The latest working versions are hoisted on on SNPS github portal, but that won't fly I guess. Anyhow for now, the upstream versions are likely to suffice for say building part.

2. The immediate (and embarrassing) issue is trying to figure out how to make the build-many-glibcs.py script work. A wiki page for new ports would have helped a lot.

  - How do I call it the first time, with my existing version of glibc.
    The checkout process, gets upstream glibc and tries to build that instead.

  - So I created a src directory manually, will all other tools and glibc being a
    symlink to my existing glibc tree and calling it as follows

$ test-glibc/src/glibc>./scripts/build-many-glibcs.py <abs-path>/test-glibc compilers arc-linux-gnu

FAIL: compilers-arc-linux-gnu check-host-libraries
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils rm
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils mkdir
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils configure
UNRESOLVED: compilers-arc-linux-gnu binutils build

I'm missing obvious/simple stuff, but this is a new env for me.

-Vineet