Re: [POWERPC] Don't override gcc -mcpu with wrong asm .machine

On Sat, 21 Oct 2017, Alan Modra wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 20, 2017 at 03:51:54PM -0200, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho wrote:
> > I understand that ppc64le was never tested on POWER4, but I'm afraid this
> > failure is actually showing there is another problem.
>
> Yes, why is powerpc64/multiarch/memcmp-power4.S being compiled for
> powerpc64le?  And even with --disable-multiarch!

Because unlike e.g. ARM, the powerpc port does not deduce which sysdeps
directories to use based on which subarchitecture the compiler is
generating code for.  (ARM also has optimizations to avoid IFUNC variants
that are unnecessary based on what the compiler is generating code for.
Such optimizations could get complicated in general; ideally you'd both
not build any variants that will not get used on any processor supporting
the compiler-generated code, and eliminate the IFUNCs altogether if that
means there is only one variant of a function left.)

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com