Re: Access to the copyright assignment file

On 09/26/2017 03:31 PM, Joseph Myers wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Sep 2017, Siddhesh Poyarekar wrote:
>
>> Carlos,
>>
>> Are there any risks to opening up access to the copyright lists file on
>> fencepost to more people or even making it public?  It might be easier
>> for everyone to do that check when reviewing patches, or even have a
>> script check submissions against the copyright file, although the latter
>> might be a bit harder to implement.
>
> Please read the notice at the top of the file.

He cannot read the top of the file because he is not a GNU Maintainer and
does not have access to fencepost.

> *Privacy Notice*
> The FSF asks that for the privacy of the developers listed herein, you
> not reproduce this list, in whole or in part, anywhere.
>
> Should you need to mention individuals in this file in other contexts,
> please do so only with a name and an email address - such as may be found
> in the ChangeLogs for the relevant programs.

Correct.

Instead of lobying to change the FSF policy, my suggestion would be that
we rework the process for becoming a GNU Maintainer (steward) for glibc
such that we have enough stewards to answer copyright questions.

Right now we have 9 listed stewards, and 5 are not really actively involved
in the day-to-day running of the project.

Would you like to become a steward? :-)

Carlos.