Re: Is it OK to write ASCII strings directly into locale source files?

* Andreas Schwab:

> On Jul 24 2017, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> So let us start slowly and agree with 'ASCII - [<>]' where < denotes
>> the start of a code point and > the end of the code point.
>
> POSIX says "character in the portable character set" if you want to keep
> it portable.

But our locales only have to be compatible with our localedef, right?

I know that the FSF does not claim copyright on our locales, so anyone
is free to take them and use them with their own non-GNU systems (or
sell them as PDFs/books).  But this does not mean we have to make
their lives easier if it comes at a cost to us (e.g., verifying that
we only use the portable character set, or refraining from using full
UTF-8 at a future date).