This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: tst-prelink fails when built with -fPIC
- From: Stefan Liebler <stli at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 16:42:39 +0200
- Subject: Re: tst-prelink fails when built with -fPIC
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <email@example.com> <alpine.DEB.firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 11/25/2016 07:15 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
On 2016-11-25 17:20, Joseph Myers wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2016, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
Debian builds gcc 6.2 with --enable-default-pie, which correspond to
always passing -pie -fPIE -fPIC. This causes the tst-prelink to fail on
Why -fPIC? It's documented as -fPIE -pie, *not* -fPIC.
You are correct it's only -fPIE. Now using either -fno-PIE or -fno-PIC
makes the tst-prelink to pass. But -fno-PIE is the correct option here.
Now, -fPIE ends up with glibc building with -DPIC, and in some cases that
may break things if code isn't ready for PIC building outside shared
libraries. Those cases can be fixed individually.
Indeed. I have already send a patch for x86-64, I am currently testing a
patch for s390.
Are there any news for this?