This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] x86-64: Implement strcpy family IFUNC selectors in C
- From: Florian Weimer <fweimer at gapps dot redhat dot com>
- To: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>, GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>
- Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2017 20:22:21 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] x86-64: Implement strcpy family IFUNC selectors in C
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20170611135042.GA22931@gmail.com>
On 06/11/2017 03:50 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
All internal calls within libc.so can use IFUNC on x86-64 since unlike
x86, x86-64 doesn't need to reserve a register to make a PLT call.
Shouldn't this rather say, “because, unlike x86, x86-64 supports
PC-relative addressing to access the GOT entry”? That's probably the
root cause of the performance difference.