Re: [COMMITTED] Remove useless comment from sysdeps/sparc/sparc32/dl-machine.h

On Mon, 22 May 2017, Zack Weinberg wrote:

> You got me curious, so I did some archaeology.  This comment was
> introduced in 1999, and unfortunately Drepper seems to have been in
> the habit of copying changes out of what I assume was a Cygnus Inc
> internal CVS repository in large batches, so the commit message is
> unhelpful, but the original patch to this file

My understanding is: commits were done (with Emacs VC?) with separate
per-file log messages.  We tried to combine successive commits like that,
finishing with one committing to ChangeLog, for the conversion from CVS to
git, but while the heuristic of taking a sequence of consecutive commits
ending with one committing to ChangeLog was effective for the more recent
commits at the time of the conversion, the older commits did not involve
frequent commits of ChangeLog files, so more changes got combined than
desirable.  See git://repo.or.cz/glibc/history for a straight conversion
of the CVS history without any such heuristics used to combine commits.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com