Re: 2.25 freeze status

On 02/01/2017 12:04 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 12:45 PM, Carlos O'Donell <carlos@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Solutions:
>>
>> (a) Revert the changes to libpthread which introduced the longjmp IFUNC.
>>
>> (b) Revert the fix for bug 20019 which stops the affected applications from
>>     starting.
>
> It just silently ignores the potential crash when longjmp is called.  I won't
> call it a solution.

>> (c) Implement IFUNC relocation ordering such that the applications work
>>     correctly in the presence of the libpthread longjmp IFUNC.
>>
>> Florian Weimer has stated that (c) is not ready for glibc 2.25 release which
>> is tomorrow.
>
> d)
>
> Remove IFUNC from libpthread.so.   The requirement for that the symbol
> definition at run-time must come from the same shared object at link-time
> is questionable.

Which of (b) or (d) do you interpret to be less risk given the upcoming release?

Keeping in mind the success criteria defined earlier for this consensus discussion:

* Release of glibc 2.25 without the side effect caused by the fix for 20019
  which prevents potentially valid applications from starting.

This is a time-boxed release. We can delay a fix. Incremental progress is OK.

Carlos.