Informal model for transactional memory (was: Re: BZ 20822 :powerpc: race condition in __lll_unlock_elision)

Torvald,

I'm sorry for my earlier rather destructive comments.

Do you think those of us who do not work on the implementations of the libothread concurrency primitives need to deal with transactional memory issues at all?

The libc-internal locks do not even implement elision, and if we use hardware transactional memory implementations for lock elision only and that elision is semantically transparent, then the details would not matter to the rest of glibc. We just have to think about the locking.

Is this the right approach?

Obviously, we will have to consider once we start using transactional memory for anything else beside lock elision, but this seems to be rather far away at this point.

Thanks,
Florian