Re: Malloc improvements

On 07/14/2016 01:49 PM, Anton Blanchard wrote:
Hi Florian,

It's great to see the current focus on improving malloc. One thing
that would really help POWER is reducing the number of locks and
atomics in the fast path. Right now we have 3 in the malloc
fastpath and 2 in free. These add up.

Does the hook variable read count as an atomic operation in this
sense?

The read hook shouldn't be. The atomic issue I was referring to was
something we've been trying to solve for a while:

https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2014-05/msg00118.html

x86_64 checks __libc_multiple_threads and avoids atomics if possible. Do you already do this in POWER?

Thanks,
Florian