Re: glibc 2.24 -- Release blockers

On 07/14/2016 03:19 PM, Paul Eggert wrote:
On 07/14/2016 02:23 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Backporting the hybrid-malloc changes should be enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into that when I get the time
(not now, as I have other things to attend to).

If it's easy, could you please give a few details about which
hybrid-malloc changes you mean? My first thought is to use all the
hybrid-malloc code in Emacs master, except that 'configure' should be
modified to use the code only if it detects that it is using a glibc
version that lacks the recently-removed external symbol. If you have a
better idea in mind please let us know.

You should remove the Doug Lea malloc detection completely, to increase test coverage for the new code. Otherwise, it's difficult to see that how we can get the test coverage we want.

If you do not use glibc-internal __ symbols, this approach should work with older glibc releases, too.

Thanks,
Florian