Re: glibc 2.24 -- Release blockers

On 07/13/2016 07:09 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
Apparently, ppc64 has very aggressive ASLR, and the built-in malloc in Emacs assumes that brk will hand out addresses which are close to the .data section in the executable: It has a direct mapping from addresses to blocks to block information, and if there is a large gap between .data and the heap, the block array is huge.

Is this the main problem with Emacs and draft-glibc-2.24 malloc? If so, can you suggest a patch to Emacs, or a patch to glibc, that will work around the problem? For example, can Emacs disable the aggressive ASLR somehow? I assume there is a relatively simple fix to Emacs or to glibc that could work around this specific problem. If it is a small and well-contained change to Emacs, I will advocate that it be squeezed into the next Emacs release.

Please bear in mind that I don't have easy access to that platform, and that my Internet connection is spotty right now so I can't do a lot of debugging myself.