Re: glibc 2.24 -- Release blockers

On Thu, 2016-07-14 at 10:57 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Florian Weimer <fweimer@redhat.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure about the way forward.  This Emacs dependency blocks any
> > non-trivial change to glibc malloc, and we have security and performance
> > issues to address.
>
> And openmpi fails to build, too.  Pulling the trigger isn't the way
> forward.  Working with the affected projects to resolve the issues is.
> Glibc isn't just a random library, it is the central part of GNU/Linux.

openmpi fails because its replacement for our allocator doesn't build.
IOW, it doesn't want our stuff, and fails to do it's own thing.

Furthermore, I'd guess that they don't want our malloc because they
assume ptmalloc to be faster.  Which will stay that way until we can
finally remove the symbol that has been deprecated for years.
Thus, if we don't move forward, we're not making it any better for
openmpi either because we're not doing something about the root
problem.