glibc 2.24 -- Release blockers

Hi all,

Now that we proposed and defined current release blockers, I would like
to move forward and either commit them or move to 2.25.  The idea is, as
in previous releases, to have a somewhat large time window to allow
multiple arch and distro maintainers to test the upcoming release.

I plan to announce hard freeze by the start of next week, so we have a
quite narrow time window to sort out all the current release blockers.
The idea is to have all of them either committed or postponed to 2.25.

The current release blockers are listed in release wiki [1] below and I am
listing them with some comments:

  * [BZ #20139] Don't allow configure with not supporting AVX512 assembler
    w/o --disable-avx512 [2]

    This seems to fix possible broken build depending of binutils and target
    hardware. I tend to see this a arch specific issue where the arch
    maintainer should have the final answer.

  * [BZ #20309] X86-64: Properly align stack in _dl_tlsdesc_dynamic [3]

    This seems to be an important ABI fix and look ok to me.  I think also
    the arch maintainer have the final word.

  * Revised^2: deprecate major/minor/makedev in sys/types.h [4]

    This is a 4 patch set.  I see from previous iterations that some
    developers would like to include it in 2.24.

    First patch is already commit.

    Second patch seems ok with just the version inclusion and abifiles update
    seems to be wrong.  There is not compat symbol being added and both old
    an new version seems to be produce the same output.  I will reply to
    original thread.

    Patch 3 also seems most straightforward and I think is ok for upstream.

    Patch 4 also seems ok.

    I am plan to check all the patches (with second one being adjusted to
    not add any version in Version or abilist).

  * Refactor Linux raise implementation (BZ#15368) [5]

    I think I addressed all the issue from previous revisions and I would like
    to commit it before hard release.

  * Remove __ASSUME_OFF_DIFF_OFF64 definition [6]

    This is another cleanup that I would like to push on 2.24 mainly to get rid
    of superfluous __ASSUME_OFF_DIFF_OFF64 define.  I see it is mostly safe, since
    the __OFF_T_MATCHES_OFF64_T have the same meaning.

    I would also like to push it before hard freeze.

  * Add pretty printers for the NPTL lock types [7]

    I do not have a strong opinion about this one, but I do see some developers
    would like to push this forward on 2.24.  Since it is not a non-intrusive
    and tests are already returning UNSUPPORTED, so I think it is safe for testing.
    I will let the reviewers of the thread device or not if the patch is ok for
    inclusion.

  * [BZ #13165] New condition variable [9]

    I would like to move forward on this one.  Based on Torvald feedback is has been
    tested on fedora rawride I think it is ok for inclusion.

    I will also check on the architectures I have access.

  * [BZ #20024] Fixed vector sincos/sincosf ABI [10]

    This is another ABI fix that I think should be up to arch maintainer the final
    word.

  * malloc: Remove malloc_get_state, malloc_set_state [11]

    I plan to test and review this patch as well, but I think is should be safe
    due its limited usage by programs.

So I would like for inputs of current blocker and if should move any of them to
2.25 (I see we have a narrow window for hard freeze).

Florian, could you also handle the security bugs (NEWS addition, CVE identifiers,
etc.) since you already have some experience from previous releases?

[1] https://sourceware.org/glibc/wiki/Release/2.24
[2] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-06/msg01280.html
[3] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-06/msg01209.html
[4] https://sourceware.org/ml/libc-alpha/2016-05/msg00274.html