Re: Fourth draft of the Y2038 design document

Hi Arnd,

On Wed, 22 Jun 2016 13:55:16 +0200, Arnd Bergmann <arnd@arndb.de>
wrote :

> On your note "The implementation needs further thinking about, as
> application code defining _TIME_BITS=64 and gets built against
> new kernel headers and old GLIBC headers, then GLIBC will use 32-bit
> time_t and kernel will expect 64-bit time_t, and there is no way
> to ensure detection of this case.", I think that is covered by
> having the kernel headers check __USE_TIME_BITS64 instead of
> _TIME_BITS=64, as I described above.

What about application source code which includes kernel headers before
including any GLIBC header? The kernel header will see __TIME_BITS=64
but it won't see _USE_TIME_BITS64, and will make the wrong decision.
Don't we consider this a possible scenario?

Cordialement,
Albert ARIBAUD
3ADEV