This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCHv2 0/2] Tunables for glibc
- From: Siddhesh Poyarekar <sid at reserved-bit dot com>
- To: Andrew Pinski <pinskia at gmail dot com>
- Cc: GNU C Library <libc-alpha at sourceware dot org>, Roland McGrath <roland at hack dot frob dot com>, Carlos O'Donell <carlos at redhat dot com>, Andi Kleen <andi at firstfloor dot org>, Tulio Magno Quites Machado Filho <tuliom at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, "Paul E. Murphy" <murphyp at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>, munroesj at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com
- Date: Thu, 12 May 2016 10:53:21 +0530
- Subject: Re: [PATCHv2 0/2] Tunables for glibc
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <20160116185503 dot GA17754 at devel dot intra dot reserved-bit dot com> <CA+=Sn1k63+=qNriuR5J5POX4KQBocqsYePZNXzrpf9aSQY4g3w at mail dot gmail dot com>
On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 07:21:18PM -0700, Andrew Pinski wrote:
> What is status about this feature? I have a case where I want to have
> a tunable parameter for pthread_mutex_lock where we spin a little bit
> in userspace before calling futex as people use pthread_mutex's as
> normal locks and in the case of huge number of cores we should not
> call futex if the time spent inside the lock is small.
Florian reviewed the last iteration of the patch and asked me to go
for a more declarative approach where we make the framework aware of
the data type of the tunable. I'm doing this on my own time and I
haven't had a lot of it lately, due to which iterations of the
patchset are not coming in as regularly as they should. I have a day
free this weekend and I hope to get a new iteration up in that time.
However if you need this feature more urgently and have a person who
can work on it then let me know and I'll help ramp him/her up and help
with reviews instead.