This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the glibc project.
Re: [PATCH] S390: Use fPIC to avoid R_390_GOT12 relocation in gcrt1.o with march=z900.
- From: Stefan Liebler <stli at linux dot vnet dot ibm dot com>
- To: libc-alpha at sourceware dot org
- Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 15:55:25 +0200
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] S390: Use fPIC to avoid R_390_GOT12 relocation in gcrt1.o with march=z900.
- Authentication-results: sourceware.org; auth=none
- References: <nfpvdt$r7e$1 at ger dot gmane dot org> <8760v3pdz3 dot fsf at linux-m68k dot org> <nfsbpb$ims$1 at ger dot gmane dot org>
On 04/28/2016 08:49 AM, Stefan Liebler wrote:
On 04/27/2016 12:01 PM, Andreas Schwab wrote:
Stefan Liebler <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
According to the s390-Makefiles, -fpic is used. This patch removes the
overrides of pic-ccflag and the default pic-ccflag = -fPIC in Makeconfig
is used instead to get the R_390_GOTENT relocations in gcrt1.o.
Alternatively, you could override -fpic only for gmon-start.os, to keep
a possible performance advantage for the rest.
As it has no effect for newer architecture levels and
for older levels the effect is overall +/-0,
I would prefer the switch to -fPIC.