Re: Requiring Linux 3.2 for glibc 2.24

On 10/02/16 14:21, Florian Weimer wrote:
> On 02/09/2016 03:54 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> On 02/09/2016 03:36 PM, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
>>
>>> I am in favor of that. That said when have we tried to do so in Debian
>>> stretch/sid (which will be released in 2017), people started to complain
>>> loudly that it breaks openvz. We had to revert the change given a lot of
>>> VPS providers are using openvz.
>>>
>>> It seems that openvz is currently not ported on more recent kernels than
>>> 2.6.32 and that it will be supported until 2019 for SLES11 and 2020 for
>>> RHEL7. This unfortunately doesn't encourage openvz to move to newer
>>> kernels.
>>
>> I've got access to a Virtuozzo container which runs on a commercially
>> supported (?) 3.10 kernel variant.
>
> It turns out it's lying about the kernel version:
>
>   <https://bugs.openvz.org/browse/OVZ-5843>
>
> Oh dear.

i know about a case when musl libc is used instead of glibc
only because of that kernel version check.

(they needed a new libc, glibc failed on their old kernel,
they didn't know how safe it is to disable that check so
they compiled their application against musl. they could
not update the kernel because of custom drivers etc.)

i don't see the point of breaking userspace on old kernels..
(ppl will just do these evil workarounds.. instead of having
a few racy apis)